Bursary Winners


CUPE 1975 is pleased to announce the winners of the 2020 Norm Quan and Glen Makahonuk Bursary awards:

Norm Quan:

  • Christine Wilson
  • Reece Forster
  • Mason Beaulieu


Glen Makahonuk:  Dylan Powell

Congratulations to this years’ winners!

Season’s greetings and solidarity with our front-line workers keeping us safe


Season’s greetings and solidarity with our front-line workers keeping us safe

On the front line and behind the scenes, Saskatchewan’s 30,000 CUPE members are delivering the public services we rely on to keep our communities safe and strong through the unprecedented fight against the coronavirus.
We all need to do our part in protecting one another from the spread of the coronavirus – and to protect the public service workers who are sacrificing so much to be there for us. This includes limiting our close contacts even further to reduce transmission, remaining physically distant, wearing a mask, and washing our hands.
As we near the end of challenging year and look to another in the grips of a fight to protect the health of our communities and prevent more loss of life, let us recommit to do our part to limit transmission and to pushing forward for more fairness in our society, to call for more investments in public services, and to demand better recognition of our fellow workers.
In solidarity, we can make hope and better days a reality.
On behalf of the Executive Board and staff of CUPE Saskatchewan, we wish everyone a safe holiday and happy new year

Season’s Greetings!



Greetings CUPE 1975 members,

It has been a while since my last message to you and I thought I would provide a update on some of the things happening with our local. First of all, I would like to thank all of you who voted for me to become your next President.  I’m fortunate to have some really good help on our Executive and this position cannot function without the experience, knowledge and drive that other members of our Executive bring with them.  I truly believe that the most important thing we do as a CUPE 1975 Executive, whether its me or one of the other Executive members, is to represent, advocate and support you when you need assistance.

We will be having one more election in the new year to elect a new 1st Vice President. Two people are running for this position and I encourage you to cast a vote to determine who will fill this vacancy.  It is a very important position and role within our local.  Our bylaws state that if anything happens to the President, in their absence, the 1st Vice President will assume the President’s role. This happened when Craig experienced his medical issues this past February and I assumed his position.

Jeff Theis shared with us at the last General Membership Meeting on Tuesday, that 49 people had applied for and received a cheque from our local who had been placed on a temporary lay off.  This is something our members wanted done and we listened to you.  We have been told that between 30 and 40 of our CUPE members remain on temporary lay off with no recall date in sight.  We continue to advocate to get all of our members back to work as soon as possible.

Our Grievance Chair, Leanne Ooms has been extremely busy over the last number of months. She has been able to problem solve some of the many grievances that have been filed with the employer and we have hopes that this can continue to happen in the upcoming year.  Leanne works closely with our National Servicing Rep, Ann Iwanchuk.  Ann was, at one time, tasked with doing a number of outstanding arbitrations for different CUPE locals in Saskatchewan.  This took place over 2 years and she was successful with a number of them.  We are fortunate to have Ann as a resource and Leanne and her have worked well together.

Mental health continues to be a real concern not only for our members but also for those people that are in their lives.  The pressures and anxiety that many of you have felt over health concerns to yourself and your family members and the decisions that you have had to make were not without some anxiety.  Concern about your job or your spouse’s job.  Financial concerns.  Working from home.  Aging parents and not being able to visit them. The holidays season is difficult for some and these other things will only compound it.  EAP is available for anyone working at the University and for your family members also.  Please take advantage of this free service offered by the University.  Reach out to a family member or friend if you’re feeling low.  One thing I heard today that someone was doing thru this difficult period, was trying to reach out to someone who they haven’t talked to or seen for a while.  They sometimes have different perspectives and help you to see things in a different light.

Our new admin person, Heather Richinski, has been progressing in her new role. This role would be daunting for anyone, and its only been compounded with COVID. She had been tasked with holding our first online event, our election, and it appeared to go off fairly seamlessly.  Thanks Heather.  I suspect we will continue to use this method in the future for anything requiring a vote.

In closing, this break is coming at a time when we all could use it.  I acknowledge that shift workers will not get the full benefit of the time away.  The work you do is very important and it’s recognized whether you are treating someone’s pet, patrolling campus, providing heat to the buildings, feeding animals, or the many other things on campus that require daily intervention.  I feel this break will hope to slow the cycle of COVID that we are in.  The first inoculations in Saskatchewan have taken place and my hopes are that everyone will be able to receive an inoculation in the next few months if they choose to.  It was shared with me today by Mark Hancock, our CUPE National President, that 8 CUPE members in Canada have died by COVID, which they acquired  in the workplace.  Some of these were members working in facilities caring for our elderly.  Let’s all make an effort to slow this cycle down.  This will pass.  We will have other holidays to celebrate once we get past this.

Wishing you all the best during the Holidays and for the upcoming year. Be kind to others.

Bob Jones
President, CUPE 1975
Room 21, McLean Hall
106 Wiggins Road
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5E6

1st Vice Presidents’ Forum


There will be Election Forums for our 1st Vice-President candidates via Zoom at 12 pm on January 4, 2021.

Each candidate will be given 5 minutes to make an opening statement and then we will open up the floor for 15 minutes for members to ask questions. Each candidate will then have 2 minutes to make their closing statements.

Your Zoom invite has already been sent to you to attend the forum and will be sent again on January 4th.  Please contact the office at cupe1975@sasktel.net if you would like to be added to our mailing list.

We encourage you to attend to get to know your candidates!

1st Vice President Election


CUPE 1975 will be holding an election for the position of 1st Vice President.

Voting will take place from: January 6, 2021 at 7 a.m. to January 7, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.

Please note that the election will be ENTIRELY online. There will be no in-person voting.

1st Vice-President:

  • Ryan Klassen
  • Gino Santoro

Campaign posters are below.


There will be Election Forums for our 1st Vice-President candidates via Zoom on January 4, 2021 at 12 pm.  We encourage you to attend to get to know your candidates!

Election Results



The results are in!

Please join us in welcoming our new President, Bob Jones, and our new 2nd Vice-President, Natalie Laing.

Our new Executive is as follows:

2020/2021 Executive Board

President                             Bob Jones

1st Vice – President            Vacant

 2nd Vice-President            Natalie Laing

Treasurer                             Jeff Theis

Recording Secretary          Sherri Duggan

Sergeant- at- Arms             Jeff Van De Voord

Trustees                              Shelly Armbruster, Mimma Messina, Jaime Provo



Erwin Marbella

Alan Bohle


Maintenance – Trades, Steam Plant, Kinesiology


Braden Pound


Library, Archives


Lara O’Grady


Technicians, Security, Stores Cindy Toy

Dylan Powell



Linda Riopel

Donna Smandych

Student Employee Representative Sam Riendeau

As we now have a vacant position, if you are interested in running for 1st Vice-President, please note the following:

  • Nominations shall be made in writing and submitted to the Union Office (Nomination Form 2020) by December 2, 2020


  • Late submissions will not be accepted


  • Nominations must be accompanied by the signature of the nominating member and the nominee


  • In the event we have more submissions than positions, an online election will be held on January 6 & 7, 2020


  • Seven days after nominations close (December 9, 2020), if an election is necessary, a slate of candidates will be sent to the membership.


  • Candidates will have until December 9, 2020 to have their campaign materials submitted to the office

Remember to Vote!


Just a reminder that today is Election Day!  You should have received an email yesterday containing the link to vote!  If you don’t see it, please check your spam, other or junk email folders.  Please contact Heather at the CUPE 1975 office (306-966-7015) to verify your email address if needed.

If you need access to a computer to vote, you may, on your break, go to Geology 141 or Arts 140 and use the computers there.  Voting closes at 3:30 pm.

Results will be announced at the AGM at 5 pm today.


On Behalf of Saskatoon and District Labour Council


Sisters and Brothers,
SDLC September 2020 Zoom General Membership Meeting
Date:  Monday, November 23, 2020
Time:  6 pm
I will be emailing the zoom meeting links and information out before the meeting date.
In Solidarity,
Sister Donna Rederburg, Registrar
On Behalf of Saskatoon and District Labour Council

Voting Procedures



Voting procedures

Good afternoon,

Our election is coming up!  Voting will be open starting November 23rd at 7:00 am and will run until 3:30 pm on November 24th.  Below are instructions on how to vote and what to expect.

You will receive an email to your usask email account from Election Runner which is the program we are using to host our elections this year.  When the election starts on Monday, you will receive an email with details on the election, the start/end time, your voter ID/Key, and a link that you can click which takes you directly to the election login page (see example below). Click on that link and it will take you to the Ballot page.  There you will choose your candidates and hit “submit”.


Please note that you will not be able to vote or access the election page until the election opens on Monday!

If you have any further questions, please contact Heather at the office.


Save The Date!


Annual General Membership Meeting

November 24, 2020
5-6 pm
Via Zoom

Zoom invites will go out later this week to your inboxes.  Please contact the office if your contact information has changed.  cupe1975@sasktel.net